"Women's Leadership "
Location: E. 9th Street & The Paseo, Kansas City, MO
Owner: City of Kansas City, MO Parks & Recreation Dept.
Artist/Designer: George Kessler and John VanBrunt
This fountain is maintained by City of Fountains Foundation.
This is the second fountain built in Kansas City's and its oldest working fountain. Designed by George Kessler and John VanBrunt, it was completed in 1899. After a long period of non-use, the basin was excavated and repaired in 1970. And in 1989 the Central Exchange took leadership in raising money for a partial restoration and named it The Women's Leadership Fountain. Funds from the sale of other City property were used to complete the restoration in 2003. The names of thirteen women who have made notable contributions to the City will be added later.
1845-1931 Myrtle Page Fillmore
1850-1934 Phoebe Jane Ess
1850-1913 Alice Berry Graham
1851-1940 Mary Harmon Weeks
1854-1929 Bertha Manheimer Leiberman
1860-1933 Katherine Berry Richardson
1884-1974 Nelle Elizabeth Peters
1884-1964 Caroline Benton Cockfair
1886-1983 Ada Crogman Franklin
1893-1977 Guadalupe Bribiesca de Garcia
1894-1990 Madalyn Pinkston Brock
1899-2004 Ellen (Nell) Donnelly Reed
1917-1970 Esther Swirk Brown