Dates: Installed 1938, Endowed by Muriel McBrien Kauffman Foundation in 1996
The City of Fountains Foundation holds an endowment for this fountain.
The City Hall Fountains consist of two rows of four pool basins. The northernmost sculpture of each row is a bronze mythological sea horse flanked by dolphins. The remaining basins have sculptures in the form of concave bronze seashells with dolphin heads shooting water. This fountain facility is intricate, creating a terraced effect, as the basins are lower as they descend to the street.
In 1942, the fountains were the subject of controversy. In an effort to economize for the war effort, they were turned off to save the city $1.50 per day in electricity.