Artist/Designer: John Van Brunt and George Kessler
The City of Fountains Foundation holds an endowment for this fountain.
This fountain was the second fountain built in Kansas City and is its oldest working fountain. It was completed in 1899 and designed by John Van Brunt and George Kessler. After a long period of non-use, the basin was excavated and repaired in 1970. In 1989, the Central Exchange took leadership in raising money for a partial restoration and named it The Women’s Leadership Fountain. Funds from the sale of other City property were used to complete the restoration in 2003. The names of thirteen women who have made notable contributions to the City will be added later.