Owner: Jackson County Parks & Recreation Department
Artist: Charles Keck
Dates: Designed 1933, Installed 1934, Dedicated December 27, 1934
Medium: Bronze (sculpture), Spanish granite (base)
The City of Fountains Foundation holds an endowment for this sculpture.
This larger-than-life bronze sculpture of Andrew Jackson sits in front of the 12th Street entrance of the Jackson County Courthouse in downtown Kansas City. Jackson County was named after Andrew Jackson. It was placed in conjunction with the construction of the courthouse, which was completed in 1934.
The statue depicts Andrew Jackson in his role as a General in the United States Army as he rides his horse through the battlefield. His head is bare so that the viewer can see more of Jackson. He holds a telescope in his right hand to be able to further survey the area. His left hand holds the reins of his horse. He is armed with his sword in its scabbard.