In 1922, J.C. Nichols purchased in Italy a marble fountain that consisted of a pedestal that resembled a rock formation supporting a saucer in the shape of a scalloped shell. A youth and an infant were in the middle of the saucer. Water issued from the summit of the rock formation. In 1925, this fountain was placed at the location of what is now a traffic island formed by 69th Street, Grand Avenue and Rockhill Road.
Sadly, that original fountain was vandalized in 1953 and had to be removed. It was replaced by a statue of a boy holding a vase that was obtained from the Nichols Company. That work was also vandalized. Eventually, the park was restored and a new three-tiered fountain was installed. In 2015, the Armour Hills Home Association raised funds to replace the aging three-tiered fountain and make renovations to the electrical and plumbing systems in the park. In 2016, the current four-tiered fountain was installed and put into service.