Dates: Original installation 1930, Reinstalled 1968
AKA Mermaid Pool
This fountain lies on the southeast corner of the intersection of Broadway Boulevard and Nichols Road. A large trefoil-shaped pool with two mermaids perched on the edge of the pool. The mermaids are both blowing into conch shells and a stream of water is issuing forth from each of these shells. The mermaids were acquired in Italy by the J.C. Nichols Company and reportedly more than 300 years old. In the middle of the pool is a fountain ring. Centered in the middle of the ring is a small bronze sculpture of a kneeling child known as "A Morning Prayer" by an unknown artist.
The white marble mermaids were originally installed on a rectangular pool in 1930. In 1968, the current trefoil-shaped pool replaced the rectangular pool. The small bronze child in the center was also added at this time.